Sunday 14 August 2016

Reflection on Perspectives and Philosophies of Learning

Perspectives & Philosophies 

In 2013 when I was taking the Educator Pathway through Fraser Health Authority, I was able to do a Teaching Perspectives Inventory of Pratt, D., Collins, J. & Selinger.
TPI results of 2013:

Perspective
Score
Beliefs
Intention
Action
Apprenticeship Total: (Ap)
42
B = 14;
I = 15;
A = 13
Nurturing Total: (Nu)
40
B = 14;
I = 13;
A = 13
Developmental Total: (Dv)
36
B = 12;
I = 13;
A = 11
Social Reform Total: (SR)
33
B = 12;
I = 11;
A = 10
Transmission Total: (Tr)
32
B = 13;
I = 6;
A = 13

In 2016 I found an inventory by Lorainne Zinn that looks more at the educational philosophies. 
PAEI results of 2016:

Learning Philosophy
Score
Behaviorist
92
Progressive
85
Liberal
82
Radical
81
Humanistic
71


So although the philosophy survey does not look at the beliefs, intentions and actions, I did notice a correlation between my 2013 inventory results and the 2016 philosophy results. 

I believe that the behaviorist approach that looks at the “observable behaviours” of a student is very similar to the apprenticeship perspective that tries “to model a way of being” (Pratt & Collins, 2013; Zinn, 2015; Melrose, Perry & Park, n.d.). This makes sense to me, I am presently teaching clinical labs, requires a high concentration on the performing of skills a nursing educator is trying to model a way of being to the students during those skills.

But being is not just skills as my second highest scoring perspective and philosophy indicate. Nurturing seems right to me as the nursing profession is a “caring” profession and this perspective promotes self-efficacy (Pratt & Collins, 2000, p.4). The progressive philosophy sits right with teaching in the nursing profession, many of our clinical scenarios in the lab, case-based learning courses for transitions and the use of case studies in my collaboration course all require the problem-based learning that is fundamental to developing the critical thinking to deal with real life scenarios that the students might encounter when they end up in the workforce (Zinn, 1998, p. 46).  I also see that many of the nursing policies are based on competencies that require an understanding of critically thinking through problems.

What I do find interesting is that I really believe in the different aspects of all the perspectives as noted by the belief numbers of the 2013 survey. I also really don’t have a defined philosophy as noted by the small deviation of the numbers in the 2016 survey. I am not constrained by a specific perspective or even philosophy; that is a good thing. It means to me that I adapt to the diversity of situations that I encounter in the classrooms, labs and clinical areas as I do my nursing instruction.

I was also encouraged that I continue to have a radical philosophy and social reform perspective as it is important to allow the students to understand the social determinants of health and be agents of change for health policies as needed.

I was able to find a paper that described the inventory survey although the website seems not to be active at present[1], I did find a link to an article presentation of the survey authors (Pratt & Collins, 2000). I was also able to find a chapter in a book that the author of the philosophy survey had written (Zinn, 1998). A description of both these surveys are included in a creative commons book from Athabasca University (Melrose, Perry & Park, n.d., Chapter 2).

Melrose, S., Perry, B., & Park, C. (n.d.). CREATIVE CLINICAL TEACHING IN THE HEALTH PROFESSIONS. Retrieved August 14, 2016, from http://epub-fhd.athabascau.ca/clinical-teaching/chapter/chapter-two-where-do-i-fit-in-articulating-a-personal-philosophy/

Pratt, D. D., & Collins, J. B. (2000). The Teaching Perspectives Inventory (TPI). Retrieved August 14, 2016, from http://newprairiepress.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2207&context=aerc

Zinn, L. (1998). Identifying your philosophical orientation. In M.W. Galbraith (ed.), Adult learning methods, (2nd ed., pp.37–72). Malabar, FL: Krieger. Retrieved August 14, 2016, from http://www.labr.net/apps/paei/zinn.pdf

Zinn, L. M. (2015, June 22). Philosophy of Adult Education. Retrieved August 14, 2016, from http://www.labr.net/apps/paei/

1 comment:

  1. Developmental Total: (Dv) 40 B = 12 I = 15 A = 13
    Nurturing Total: (Nu) 38 B = 12 I = 13 A = 13
    Apprenticeship Total: (Ap) 37 B = 11 I = 15 A = 11
    Transmission Total: (Tr) 35 B = 12 I = 11 A = 12
    Social Reform Total: (SR) 31 B = 10 I = 10 A = 11

    So the 2016 results for the TPI really don't vary too much from the 2013 results although I have now been doing more teaching for nearly 2.5 years.

    ReplyDelete